August 10, 2009

RSS


“RSS (most commonly translated as "Really Simple Syndication" but sometimes "Rich Site Summary") is a family of web feed formats used to publish frequently updated works—such as blog entries, news headlines, audio, and video—in a standardized format…Web feeds benefit publishers by letting them syndicate content automatically. They benefit readers who want to subscribe to timely updates from favored websites or to aggregate feeds from many sites into one place” (Wikipedia, 2009, p.1).


The other week after signing up for a Blogger account I signed up for Google Reader, an RSS. This is such an awesome tracking system and instead of me personally going to each and every site that I have subscribed to follow, with one website I can manage and organize each update. This technology allows me to never miss my colleagues’ updates and I can stay in tune with their continual learning journey. The account is quick and easy to set up and once I experimented with its layout and functions’, maintaining the inflowing data was easy. Google Reader is a time efficient tool that will be of great use in the professional context of a classroom and my professional development in following other well known and highly respected colleagues in the BLM and teaching industry.


As I gave a scenario in my last blogging of a year five ‘Around the World in Ninety Days’ unit, this technology tool could also be used to further their experience and learning journey. Once the learners’ are in groups, have created their itinerary, and have opened a blogger account, the learners’ then subscribe to each groups’ blog through the use of Google Reader. The learners’ then follow each other as they travel the world and visit places that they have never heard of before. This tool enables them to learn from each other and experience more then what they would be able to do in this cross-curricular unit. The learners’ can use this tool to not only track their classmates’ progress and experience, but to communicate with them about their travels. Again, I can see that this tool can be very effective in the classroom if taught explicitly.


Kearsley and Shneiderman (1999), identifies the value of incorporating ICTs in teaching and learning experiences to produce interest and engagement in learners. This 21st century is rapidly changing, developing and upgrading and it is my job as a BLM to us technology to the best of my ability to meet the needs of the current and upcoming transliterate generation. These tools are just a few that I am encouraged to use in my professional classroom.


Until my next learning experience,

Kind Regards

Lizzy


Reference List

Google. (2009). Google Reader. Accessed July 22, 2009, from: https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?hl=en&nui=1&service=reader&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2F


Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved July 21, 2009, from: http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm


Wikipedia. (2009). RSS. Retrieved July 28, 2009, from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment