August 21, 2009

Reflective Synopsis

In a recent article that I read on literacy practices called, “Changing Literacies” (Lankshear, Gee, Knobel, & Searle, 1997) it identified aspects that hindered the teacher body accepting the use of digital technology in their classrooms. They were afraid that technology would overtake their professional job, the learners would know more about the technologies than them, it would be time consuming to develop understandings, knowledge, and the skills required to implement them in the classroom, and it would reduce teaching to an “instructional delivery vehicle” (Lankshear, Gee, Knobel, & Searle, 1997, p.9). Through my exploration into the different pedagogy technologies that can be implemented into any curriculum area, I have come to realise that these stated issues, from over ten years ago, can still hinder the use of technology in the classroom today. For a professional that has been in an industry for a long period of time, changing the way they deliver a lesson can be a challenge in itself. Through this learning process I have been overwhelmed with the amount of technologies on the internet that has such potential in the classroom. Because there are so many digital tools available it can be quite frightening to take the risk and develop implementation skills and understanding required, but as lifelong learner we must be willing to give anything ago and be willing to rise to the challenge and develop the “Habit of Mind” of a “Risk Taker” (Marzano, Pickering, Arredondo, Blackburn, Brandt, Moffett, Paynter, Pollock, & Whisler, 1997).


As a Learning Manager on a lifelong learning journey, it is my job to be continually aware of the digital world that my learners are so consumed in. With unthinkable statistics of “today’s average college grads have spent less than 5,000 hours of their lives reading, but over 10,000 hours playing video games (not to mention 20,000 hours watching TV). Computer games, email, the Internet, cell phones and instant messaging are integral parts of their lives” (Prenksy, 2001) and that was around eight years ago! It is becoming harder to turn a blind eye on something so intriguing and engaging for my learners. It is time to act, time to transform my practice around theoretical perspectives that of Kearsley and Shneiderman (1999), and Oliver’s (1999) who use frame works to incorporate ICTs in collaborative, engaging and meaningful learning experiences in the classroom. These pedagogy technology tools are not incorporated to overtake the teaching profession, but to enhance the quality of the content and delivery, creating efficient learning practices. Through my journey of investigating technology tools I have been able to identify similar characteristics that they all carry. The tools are engaging, resourceful, easy to set up and most of all they are learner centered experiences that require explicit scaffolding and teaching. I believe that if these tools are taught explicitly with innovation they will promote higher order thinking, critical analyses and motivate the learners to become lifelong learners.


As a Learning Manager in the 21st century I will strive to engage with as many digital technologies in my classroom as I am capable of. I have enjoyed the learning journey through each of the required E-Learning tools for this course and really look forward in exploring them more, through my own experiences and from the reflections of my university colleagues and professionals who have used these tools with success. Below is a table of the technology tools that I would use in my current year one class. The table outlines brief activities and uses for each tool and what they are used to promote or teach the learners. This is a very rough table that I plan to develop in my journey when using and reflecting upon them, along with the advice and reflections from my colleagues and other professionals.


My learnings through these new technologies would not have been as fulfilling as it was without my university colleagues. I was continually able to reflect my experiences with each tool alongside them. Their blogging reflections helped my understanding of the tools that I had never used before and gave me inspirations of how they can be used in the classroom. There is so much insights and experience in my colleagues and I am excited to join with them on the continual learning journey that we follow. I will definitely continue to follow them and many others on this journey.

This digital world is a great place to be as a Learning Manager. I am excited and am awaiting the new experiences that lurk around the corner both in the classroom and through the new developing technologies. This experience and knowledge that I have gained has broadened my thinking, skills and lifelong learning journey. Thank you to the lectures that have made this experience worthwhile and fulfilling.


Until my next learning experience
Kind Regards
Lizzy


Reference List
Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved July 21, 2009, from: http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

Lankshear, C., Gee, J., Knobel, M., & Searle, C. (1997) Changing Literacies: Literacies, Texts and Difference in the Electronic Age. Buckingham, UK: Open University Press. Retrieved July 10, 2009: http://library-resources.cqu.edu.au/cro/protected/edcu14019/edcu14019_cro4388.pdf

Marzano, R., Pickering, D., Arredondo, D., Blackburn, G., Brandt, R., Moffett, C., Paynter, D., Pollock, J., & Whisler, J. (1997). Dimensions of Learning: Teacher’s Manual (2nd ed.). Aurora, Calorado: McREL (Mid-continent Regional Educational Laboratory).

Oliver, R. (1999). Exploring strategies for online teaching and learning. Retrieved July 20, 2009, from: http://www.learningdesigns.uow.edu.au/project/learn_design.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment