August 17, 2009

Picnik - Image Manipulation



Picnik is both a free and payable account that will transform any photo album. This site seeks out to “bring life to memories of times” (Picnik, 2009) through its multiple editing and reconstructing applications. I may not be able to assess all of its applications for free, but their free features gives me, an amateur, the ability to transform my images into a master piece. For a long time I have been searching for a program where I can custom my photos without putting a hole in my pocket, but have not been unable to find anything suitable until now. I absolutely love this technology tool so much that I could spend hours on it. The only disappointment is the time it takes to save each finished product.


Above are a couple of my images that I uploaded to Picnik, added a few quick and simple features, and some text to. It is amazing how simple it is to transform something with just a few different elements. Through this editing process I was able to zone my audience into one particular area of my image or tell a story or message through its text and contrasting colours.


Picnik in the classroom would be an engaging, learner centred and real life technology tool that would be used in correspondence with The Arts Essential Learnings (QSA, 2009). As I have shared in my past postings of the year five unit, ‘Around the World in Ninety Days’, this professional tool can also be embedded as an element of their tasks. In alignment with the “Engagement Theory” (Kearsley, & Shneiderman, 1999), in the third phase of “Donate”, the learners can use this tool to enhance their flickr stream on their blogs. They will also be required to create a postage card that is appealing to their chosen audience and with elements of the countries that they have been to. The learners can be as creative or simplistic as they want as they use different elements and concepts to enhance images to expresses an idea or message to their audience (QSA, 2009, p.3).


I am both excited and challenged with the endless possibilities of these new technologies that I am discovering on a daily bases. As I develop my professional database of technologies I am challenged with ways in which I can use them in my profession as a Learning Manager. These pedagogy tools will be used to engage my learners, to enhance their opportunities of success in this digital world, to create meaningful and real life learning experiences and to create a learner centered classroom. I wonder what my learners’ will teach me!


Until my next learning experience

Kind Regards

Lizzy


Reference List

Kearsley, G., & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory: A framework for technology-based teaching and learning. Retrieved July 21, 2009, from: http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm


Picnik. (2009). About Us. Accessed July 31, 2009, from: http://www.picnik.com/app#/home/aboutus


QSA. (2009). The Essential Learnings: The Arts – by the end of Year 5 (Visual Art). Retrieved March 3, 2009, from: http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/learning/7262.html

No comments:

Post a Comment